Thursday, July 29, 2010

Heart Broken

As most of you know, today was Peyton’s appointment to see the Pediatric Cardiologist….an appointment we have waited over a month for.

I’m not going to beat around the bush, so I’m just going to fight the tears and say it….


Peyton is in need of open heart surgery


My heart feels so compeltley crushed…your child in your eyes is perfect. Perfect just as God intended for them to be. And it’s so so heartbreaking to hear of an imperfection that needs attention.

Our doctor explained everything very thoroughly with us…went over the anatomy of the heart and explained how he has a VSD and that we have the option of going one of 2 ways--

Both procedures will take place in Salt Lake at Primary Childrens.

Either he has a catheter that is inserted through the femoral artery and a patch is placed on his heart. But if the cath lab does not feel comfortable on doing this on such a low weight child…as peyton…then our next option is Surgery. She stated how some go the route of the cathether placement but then find out it doesn’t work after all and is then admitted into surgery. So it’s the possiblilty of going through 2 events…or just with one event which is--surgery and getting it all over and done with.

Essentially, we get to make the choice. We feel at this time if we hear back that the Cath lab without any hesistancy feels 100% comfortable in placing the patch…we will go that route. But if they don’t feel comfortable---we will do surgery.

It is also up to us when we are available. We are to give them a date and onward that we are available for..and she will get us in. Our doctor stated that this situation isn’t urgent or emergent but is a “gosh, we need to do something about this soon.”

We have a lot of things coming up in August so we are thinking of telling them we are available August 29th and on…..although I feel i'm being selfish..

If the catheter is the route we go for…we will be in the hospital for one overnight stay. If surgery takes place—he’ll be in for 5 days.

(I will totally NEED visitors ps)

Peyton’s heart condition has answered a lot of questions—Q: why is Peyton weighing the same 18 pounds he did at his one year appt…A: Peyton’s heart has been working so hard it burns so many calories leaving his body at a low weight. They say once this procedure is complete his weight should double immediately. It sounds fun to see Peyton being chubby.

Why has Peyton been sick a lot? RSV, Rosyola, etc…

His heart condition has made it so that he can’t fight viral infections well and has been harder to have a strong immune system.

One question I would like to know the answer to—is why couldn’t this have been detected in the womb through all the ultra sounds I had while pregnant? And will this effect other children we have as well?

Please pray for him. I have been bawling non stop since 7 am this morning….

I’m not going to ask—why me? I’m too strong in the gospel to even become close to asking myself that question. Trials are given to us for growth and learning. And that no trial is given to us upon which we are not able to bear. I can do this. We will do this.

Thanks for reading

Loves

23 comments:

Savannah said...

Brooke:

Everything will be alright. I'm so sorry that this is happening though! Your sweet baby! Please let me know when, if ever, you and Peyton are going to be at Primary Children's- I would love to visit you and give you a big hug! I'm sorry this hasn't ended up the way you hoped- you are in my thoughts and prayers!
love u!!

Travis, Shantell, and Family said...

Your baby is SO SWEET! You are such a great Mom and I am sure Peyton is a strong little boy! Again I am so sorry to hear that this is happening to your Cute Family! I understand when you hear things like you are LUCKY! I hate that.. Not like you don't already know that you are LUCKY.. You are an amazing mom.. Just keep that strength and don't forget how much our Father in heaven loves you and has your needs and wants in mind! I Luf Ya!

Unknown said...

I can't really imagine how you must be feeling right now.
We'll keep you guys in our prayers.
Primary Childrens is such a great hospital, though. You are in good hands and I'm glad that they were able to find out what is wrong and fix it - even if it is as scary as surgery.
Let us know if we can help in any way.

Jenny said...

Im so sorry to hear about Peyton, I cant even imagine learning news like this. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you and your family.

Jen @ Love, the Arthurs said...

Oh Brooke! I'm so sorry! I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. PLEASE call if you need to talk. Peyton is a strong little boy and will get through everything just fine. You will too. It will be hard, but you guys are strong and can do it. I'm so sorry all of this is happening with your sweet little boy. You'll all be in our prayers.

Harrison and Christine said...

So sorry to hear this, Brooke! We will be thinking and praying for you!!

Unknown said...

The Lord is on our side. He will watch over and protect Peyton! It will be exciting to see him more active and chubby. lol

The Belshes said...

Brooke, I am so sorry! Everything will work out! You guys are in our thoughts and prayers and Please let me know if you need anything. Love You!!

Jess said...

We love you guys and we're sorry to hear about Peyton. You guys have been blessed with such a beautiful little boy and I know Heavenly Father is looking out for you guys. Heart surgery seems to be such a common thing in infants and toddlers these days, but I still can't imagine what you guys are going through. Primary Children's is amazing. We have friends that just had to go through all this and they loved the staff! You're such an amazing person and I couldn't think of Peyton having any other mom as strong and loving as you. You guys are in our thoughts and our prayers. Keep us posted. If you need a visitor any time let me know! And you're always welcome to give me a call.

TheCoys said...

Brooke, I'm sorry that you and Peyton and Steve have to go through this. As you know Heavenly Father trusts you enough to go through this trial. I hope you know that we're thinking of you and praying for you and wish for the best results.

Liz's Blog said...

we love you and peyton! ya'll are in our prayers! big hugs!

Brittany and Rob said...

i cant even tell u how sorry i am that youre having to go through this!!! we will definitely keep u all in ours prayers and please remember that if u feel to weak to stand then kneel before heavenly father! let me know when it is and what i can do to help! love ya!

Haylee said...

it just makes my heart hurt reading about this!! We have heart problems in my family BIG time! on the plumbing side and electrical. I worry all the time that im gonna pass on things to my children or something is going to happen to me! I hope everything goes well!! Its good to have the faith we do!

Bill and Laurie Wilson said...

We love and pray for Peyton, you and Steven through this trial. Peyton is a strong child and will pull through this.

Krystal said...

sorry to hear about that. Im so glad that we have the technology to take care of these problems. Hope everything goes well.

KimWar said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I wish you all the best of luck. My sister in law had open heart surgery as a baby and she is "healthy as a whistle" so there is a lot of hope for a healthy happy son! Love you lots, I will keep you in my prayers and hang in there, I am so sorry this is happening.

Love, Kim

Rebecca said...

im so glad you are the loving mother you are. i know he will be ok. like others have said, you are STRONG! you can get through this and peyton will too and i think heavenly father is sure lookin out for you, steve and peyton in helping the doctors find out what is going on with his sweet little heart. and they will be guided by heavenly fathers hand as they help him. and just remember that the atonement can heal not only sins but suffering of all kinds, and sadnesses and also the physical aspect of sorrows...
i know that you have already been though a ton in your life. i admire you for your steadfastness in life and in the gospel and all the things that have happended to you up to this point, were preparing you to be the wonderful mother that you are... with the kind of love that you have.
i will never forget the time that we went boating at utah lake and all you could say and think of was peyton. all you could think and see was "peytons life flashing before your eyes".
i love you brooke and if you need anything we are all here for you, including me!
please keep us updated!!!
love ya, becky

Callie said...

Brooke,

I'm SO sorry that you're dealing with this! How hard!!! We thought our little guy was going to have heart problems (family history of them), so we went to see a Perinatologist while we were pregnant in addition to regular ultrasounds (that aren't high-tech enough to see problems in such a little heart). In the future, your OB will probably suggest you see one. If they don't suggest it, ask for it! =)

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Steve, and little Peyton!

Callie (Criner) Perkins

REYNOLDS FAMILY said...

Brooke..you have me in TEARS! I admire your faith and how lucky Peyton is to have such strong parents!! Everything will be okay, these cute little people come with guardian angels and remember this will be harder on you than it will be him..he will not remember (thank goodness) so stay strong I will be praying for you guys! Keep updating and lean on family and friends you will need it. You are NOT selfish for wanting to wait a month..give yourself time to let it sink in and ENJOY the time!! Love you!!

Darren + Janessa said...

you guys are strong parents!! everything will work out as it needs to! i really enjoyed your testimony last sunday! i admire your perspective!

can't wait to get to know you guys better now that our husbands will be with each other tons!

The Fords said...

Brooke, I'm sorry that you and youre cute family have to go through this right now. But your absolutley right. Heavenly father never gives us trials that we can't handle. You seriously are so strong, and you inspire me. Your sweet little peyton will get better before you know it.
Ill keep you guys in my prayers.

Kara Simmons. said...

We will be praying that everything goes well for you guys. Good luck Peyton!

Christina said...

I found your blog and had to comment. My son also was born with a heart defect.

I am part of a local non-profit support group for families seen at Primary Children's called Intermountain Healing Hearts www.ihhearts.org. If there is anything we can do for you, or answer questions or come and visit when you are there for surgery (we bring in Care Bags of goodies post-surgery) or anything PLEASE let us know.
We also have an online forum for partents to interact visit: www.ihhfurum.org/forum

Good luck with the upcoming surgery!

Hugs & Prayers,
Christina
Heart Momma to Jacob (TGA)
www.jacobsheart.blogspot.com
christina@intermountainhealinghearts.org